Travelling is a privilege and there are so many extraordinary things to experience. Whilst travelling, we can have a positive impact on the economy, local communities and the environment. And in doing so, you are a responsible tourist travelling with respect and sensitivity to your local environment.
Sense Africa does its best to use accommodation and other in-country services which provide assistance to local community initiatives or supports local conservation projects. In our minds, responsible travel is an important part of your holiday.
Sense Africa works with RIGHT-tourism, part of Care for the Wild, to ensure good and responsible practice whilst travelling on holiday. To find out more about animal friendly tourism, visit their website.
1. If you would like to take photographs of local people then please ask before taking them. And if you have a digital camera then please make sure that you show your pictures, not only is it polite but it also can break the ice and encourage conversation.
2. Please by handicrafts and souvenirs from local stalls rather than imported souvenirs from neighbouring countries. In doing so you are directly supporting the local communities and encouraging local initiatives which are reliant on tourism.
3. Please do not buy souvenirs made from endangered species such as ivory and ebony. If in doubt please ask your Sense Africa guide.
1. Learn a few words of the local language, it shows your respect for the culture and helps you to integrate into the local community.
2. Please ensure that you respect local customs and wear the appropriate clothing and behave in the appropriate manner. If you are accompanied please ask your Sense Africa guide who will advise you what to do in different situations.
3. If you are accompanied Sense Africa will tip all guides, bar staff, cleaners, cooks, waiters and any other people that have assisted on a Sense Africa trip. If you would like to give extra then please take advice from Sense Africa.
4. If you would like to give something such as pens and paper then Sense Africa can organise for you to give to a local school or community. There are certain channels to give gifts in an appropriate and fair manner, let us advise you on the best way to do this.
5. Most of all, please do not give sweets to the children.
1. Water is a scarcity so be water wise; take shorter showers, don’t leave the tap running whilst cleaning your teeth and be aware of your water usage.
2. Try to buy biodegradable products such as shampoo and soap and please be sensitive to the environmental impact that other products cause.
3. Please switch off lights and reduce electricity output to a minimum.
4. Please do not leave any litter at all, it destroys the fragile ecosystem and has a negative affect on tourism. This includes cigarette butts which are poisonous to the wildlife and, if still lit, can have catastrophic consequences.
5. You will be able to obtain incredible photographs. Please do not ask for guides to get closer to animals for that ultimate photo. Savour the experience and respect the wildlife.
We do have an impact on where we go and what we do, lets make it a positive one.